Welcome

In the movie Lost in Translation there is a scene in which Bill Murray's character explains that, upon having your first child, "your life as you know it is gone...never to return." The movie has been one of my favorites for years. I just wish that I had known he meant my life.

In early 2010, I gave birth to the world's most perfect child. (Is there a parent who doesn't think his/her child is the world's most perfect?) In addition to being beautiful, he is brilliant and sweet and funny and hands-down the best thing that will ever happen to me. This kid is my entire world. I had somehow suspected through most of my life that he would be, which is why I fought very hard to have him. But about the post-childbirth apocalypse, I had absolutely no clue.

To say things have changed would be misleading. EVERYTHING has changed. Most of it has been good--some not so great--but everything is without a doubt different. And now the world changes once again. My little family and I find ourselves journeying from the big city to beautiful, calm Montana. Will the change be for the better? As with anything, the answer is sometimes "yes," sometimes "no," and always sought with massive quantities of hope. Come with me as I navigate the roads from fast-paced, big-city lawyer to Montana Momhood. Is there a line that can be walked? We'll see. But I can guarantee, at a minimum, it will be an adventurous road trip....

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Selective Memory

First of all, my apologies for the inconsistencies of the past week or so.  As you can see from my posts, life can get a bit crazy around here.  Nonetheless, I will strive to prevent missing days without warning. 

Upon bringing a child into your life, I am 100% convinced that your brain immediately secretes a hormone that erases memory over time.  This hormone is triggered by new baby smell and smiles, and therefore is found in all parents, whether or not you are the one who actually physically gave birth.  This hormone is called, among those in the science community, memoryeraseate.  Sure, this chemical composition affects the daily workings of the brain--your ability to have conversations without referring to The Wiggles, to remember the name of your client, to recall that you haven't put pants on that day--all such thoughts are gone forever.  However, more than that, the composition slowly dissolves the parts of your brain that digest exactly how hard it is to keep these little creatures alive at first.  Otherwise, I am convinced, there would be a world of "only" children.

Having a kid is hard.  From what I have seen, it is hard if you are part of a loving, two-person relationship that is stable, if you are physically and emotionally in a good place, if you are financially secure and if you are surrounded by loving friends and family.  Take away one or more of these things, and you deserve an award every single day (read: your awesome kid is totally a gift).  But over a shockingly quick period of time, you will forget this fact (the crummy part).  You won't recall the sucky few hours (fine, minutes) before the epidural.  You won't recall the feeling of complete sleep deprivation.  You won't recall the panic the first time you leave the baby alone or leave the house with her.  All of that is lost in a cloud of "I am the greatest parent ever--I survived the first year!!"  And you are, because you did.  But selective memory will prevent you from remembering exactly why you are so cool.

Looking back on the past ten plus months, I am shocked at how any of us survives.  They have hands-down been the best months of my life.  And, admittedly, the hardest.  But I don't remember the most hard parts, really.  So I guess my point is to go easy on those who are going through it.  Cut them some slack on a daily basis and offer the best (and only welcome) advice you can give: it goes fast.  The good and the bad.  So enjoy every day and remember that it will pass.  I think.  Now, what was I saying?

2 comments:

  1. I have memory issues and no kids. What's my excuse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just clicked to comment, but can't remember what the post was about.

    ReplyDelete