| Reprinted from http://www.elisemyers.wordpress.com/ And I am sorry if this photo offends you. It makes me feel better about my parenting. |
I spent many hours when I was pregnant worrying that my son would not like sports. It wasn't that I was worried that he wouldn't want to play--I will absolutely pretend to support him if that is his decision. But I was afraid that he wouldn't tolerate them. And, as they are almost always on in my house, that could be a huge problem. I still worry about it. But now I'm also starting to worry another way....
I am starting to become afraid because of my kid's obsession with sports. He says a few choice words these days, but the biggies are: "hi," "up," "ball" and "go, Cubs, go." No, really. And "ball" means any and every round, possibly bouncy object AND basketball hoops. When we go for a walk, it's all I hear, because there are so many hoops in my neighborhood. He got so excited this morning at finding a new hoop in the hood, I thought I was going to have to tackle him. At which point he probably would have bounced up and yelled "touchdown."
The other night, we were reading his formerly favorite book, "Boy of Mine." It's about how awesome he is and how much I love him. But he literally smacked it out of my hand and made me pick up a book his aunt Kate gave him called "Chicago Cubs, 101." Thanks Kate. It teaches the history of the Cubs, as well as the basics (bat, ball, Ron Santo, etc). He made me read it over and over and over again. And by the fourth time, I sort of started to freak out. Really? You don't want to read "Goodnight Moon"? Should we watch The Wiggles? How about a nice game of peek-a-boo? Nope. The kid wants to read sports books.
Don't get me wrong--I love this. I will tell anyone and everyone around that he is a sports nut with a pride that really should be reserved for actual accomplishments. I'm thinking of having him sing the Bears fight song into a recording, so that we can be rich and famous. BUT...isn't it a bit...much? The kid is one. I don't want him to burn out. He'll be hating all things "ball" by the time he's in preschool.
So what do you think, public? Do I have a budding first baseman, or a kid who will never talk to his mother again because he hates all things sports by the age of 5? And am I Mother of the Year (though I have no control over his likes) or is child services coming for me soon? Don't answer that last one.
No comments:
Post a Comment