Welcome

In the movie Lost in Translation there is a scene in which Bill Murray's character explains that, upon having your first child, "your life as you know it is gone...never to return." The movie has been one of my favorites for years. I just wish that I had known he meant my life.

In early 2010, I gave birth to the world's most perfect child. (Is there a parent who doesn't think his/her child is the world's most perfect?) In addition to being beautiful, he is brilliant and sweet and funny and hands-down the best thing that will ever happen to me. This kid is my entire world. I had somehow suspected through most of my life that he would be, which is why I fought very hard to have him. But about the post-childbirth apocalypse, I had absolutely no clue.

To say things have changed would be misleading. EVERYTHING has changed. Most of it has been good--some not so great--but everything is without a doubt different. And now the world changes once again. My little family and I find ourselves journeying from the big city to beautiful, calm Montana. Will the change be for the better? As with anything, the answer is sometimes "yes," sometimes "no," and always sought with massive quantities of hope. Come with me as I navigate the roads from fast-paced, big-city lawyer to Montana Momhood. Is there a line that can be walked? We'll see. But I can guarantee, at a minimum, it will be an adventurous road trip....

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Martha Help Me...

Recently, I found myself doing something wholly offensive.  Well, not as offensive as the things you are undoubtedly thinking--this is a family blog, folks.  No, I found myself perusing Consumer Reports.  While this, alone, would be offensive to me 5 years ago (as you who know me are well aware), it gets worse.  I was looking at the reviews for...wait for it...sewing machines.

Yes, I--the woman who for the past decade refused to purchase any article of clothing unless it had a pretty, well-known label sewn in the back--was looking to purchase a sewing machine.  This fact would have caused my late grandmother to rise in a state of bliss.  From the time I was little, she was constantly trying to get me to do two "girl" things:  cook and sew.  And while I eventually gave into the cooking (hey, some guys think it's hot, so I went with it), I have steadfastly refused to even consider the latter.  It's gross.  Not the act, of course--sewing is not only highly practical, it is admittedly a kind of cool art form.  But it's the sheer girliness of the act.  Sewing connotes a kind of basic housekeeping skill that is the type that I have shunned for the entirety of my adult existence.  It is a terminal sin to be thought of as a woman in a law firm.  You can look like a woman (in fact, such is preferred), you may occasionally act like a woman (though free cards on this one are limited), but under no circumstances are you to actually be a woman.  It's the kiss of death.  And therefore it is a rule by which I have lived not only my work life, but my home life as well.

So why, may you ask, am I now straying from this rule?  Because I want to make my kid a blankie.  That's it.  Nothing life-changing or sinister or earth shattering.  I simply want to make a comfy lovie for my kid and I can't do that without a sewing machine.  WHO AM I???  It's crazy--such an impulse would never have crossed my brain prior to having a child.  So what is the difference?  Is it hormones?  Let's just leave that one at, I don't think so.  Is it necessity?  Nope, the kid has a million blankets.  Or is it (gasp) biology?  Have such urges always been underneath the surface, just waiting for the chance to escape?  Who knows.  All I know is that the thought of it made me vomit slightly in my mouth, before I cyber-ran, screaming, to view the Gucci spring collection.  Don't get me wrong--I will ultimately purchase the damn machine.  And I will make the stupid blanket.  But I won't like it.  Some things, no matter how ingrained, must be fought.

No comments:

Post a Comment