I hate country music. Ok, this statement isn't entirely correct. I generally have liked country music in the past. In fact, when I was in Chicago I used to occasionally listen to the country stations as they gave me a piece of comfort. Both the "down-home" lyrics and the tunes reminded me of my family here in Montana and it was a nice reminder of calmer times.
Yeah, well, now that things are very calm (with some notable exceptions, of course), I am singing a different tune. Or I would like to be, at least. There are exactly 3 choices in musical genres on the radio stations here. First is, shockingly, country. Second is gospel. Third is 80s hard rock. While the hard rock is tempting and makes me smile simply because it's the same stuff that was on the radio the last time I lived here, more than 30 seconds of the stuff and you want to ram your car into Taco John's while wearing an Axl Rose bandana. Gospel makes me feel bad about myself and life choices, so that leaves country. Which was fine for the first day or two. But now? I don't care if my dog ran off with my tractor or whether he's gonna love her like it's yesterday's tomorrow. At all. If I hear Taylor Swift one more time, I am going to lure her into a hut where she can spend eternity with The Wiggles and whatever that animal sidekick of Dora the Explorer is. The worst part? I can't even get WGN radio in the car, meaning no Cubs games (though it was hard to listen without you, Ronnie). To say it mildly, the situation is dire.
So what's a girl to do? Well, sadly, the best solution with which I have come up is to listen to the Disney's Greatest Hits. Over and over again. If you need to know a lyric from the third stanza of "Be Our Guest," be my guest and ask. I know it. And you may be interested to know that there is a beautiful instrumental from the second half of Pocahontas. Just saying.
If anyone out there has another solution, I'm dying to hear it. Please. Until then, you can find me under the sea. Because it's a small world, after all. And until then, Hakuna Matatta.
Welcome
In the movie Lost in Translation there is a scene in which Bill Murray's character explains that, upon having your first child, "your life as you know it is gone...never to return." The movie has been one of my favorites for years. I just wish that I had known he meant my life.
In early 2010, I gave birth to the world's most perfect child. (Is there a parent who doesn't think his/her child is the world's most perfect?) In addition to being beautiful, he is brilliant and sweet and funny and hands-down the best thing that will ever happen to me. This kid is my entire world. I had somehow suspected through most of my life that he would be, which is why I fought very hard to have him. But about the post-childbirth apocalypse, I had absolutely no clue.
To say things have changed would be misleading. EVERYTHING has changed. Most of it has been good--some not so great--but everything is without a doubt different. And now the world changes once again. My little family and I find ourselves journeying from the big city to beautiful, calm Montana. Will the change be for the better? As with anything, the answer is sometimes "yes," sometimes "no," and always sought with massive quantities of hope. Come with me as I navigate the roads from fast-paced, big-city lawyer to Montana Momhood. Is there a line that can be walked? We'll see. But I can guarantee, at a minimum, it will be an adventurous road trip....
In early 2010, I gave birth to the world's most perfect child. (Is there a parent who doesn't think his/her child is the world's most perfect?) In addition to being beautiful, he is brilliant and sweet and funny and hands-down the best thing that will ever happen to me. This kid is my entire world. I had somehow suspected through most of my life that he would be, which is why I fought very hard to have him. But about the post-childbirth apocalypse, I had absolutely no clue.
To say things have changed would be misleading. EVERYTHING has changed. Most of it has been good--some not so great--but everything is without a doubt different. And now the world changes once again. My little family and I find ourselves journeying from the big city to beautiful, calm Montana. Will the change be for the better? As with anything, the answer is sometimes "yes," sometimes "no," and always sought with massive quantities of hope. Come with me as I navigate the roads from fast-paced, big-city lawyer to Montana Momhood. Is there a line that can be walked? We'll see. But I can guarantee, at a minimum, it will be an adventurous road trip....
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have a very similar recent blog post . . . I came to the conclusion that I still love 90's country, but somewhere around 2003 I had to give it up because either it got too conservative or I got too liberal. Thankfully, I'm only in my car listening to the radio at news times, and I listen to NPR. On the rare occasion that I'm listening to the radio and there is NOT news on, I rock out to the 80s hair metal station, I love it (in very small doses), as it is my philosophy that every day should have a little Poison in it.
ReplyDelete