Welcome

In the movie Lost in Translation there is a scene in which Bill Murray's character explains that, upon having your first child, "your life as you know it is gone...never to return." The movie has been one of my favorites for years. I just wish that I had known he meant my life.

In early 2010, I gave birth to the world's most perfect child. (Is there a parent who doesn't think his/her child is the world's most perfect?) In addition to being beautiful, he is brilliant and sweet and funny and hands-down the best thing that will ever happen to me. This kid is my entire world. I had somehow suspected through most of my life that he would be, which is why I fought very hard to have him. But about the post-childbirth apocalypse, I had absolutely no clue.

To say things have changed would be misleading. EVERYTHING has changed. Most of it has been good--some not so great--but everything is without a doubt different. And now the world changes once again. My little family and I find ourselves journeying from the big city to beautiful, calm Montana. Will the change be for the better? As with anything, the answer is sometimes "yes," sometimes "no," and always sought with massive quantities of hope. Come with me as I navigate the roads from fast-paced, big-city lawyer to Montana Momhood. Is there a line that can be walked? We'll see. But I can guarantee, at a minimum, it will be an adventurous road trip....

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bed Bug

Argh.  My kid has always been a pretty decent little sleeper.  Within the past 6 or so months, he feels as though he must first protest the concept of sleep, but that lasts about 3 minutes, then he is fine.  Usually.  But lately a new issue has arisen that promises to turn both of our worlds upside down.

A while back his caretaker informed me that he had taken a header out of the crib. I may have mentioned this--it totally freaked me out.  Naturally I responded in a calm and collected manner--I promptly emailed every parent I know and asked what the heck do I do.  Of course I knew what to do.  It was time to put him in a big boy bed.  But I couldn't do it.  A big boy bed meant that he would be free.  Unrestrained.  The world was his.  Danger was imminent.  And, as awful as this sounds, it meant the few precious minutes between his bed time and mine weren't, well, mine.  Besides, it had only happened once.

Until now.  That's right, it has happened again.  Not to mention the at least once per day acrobatics that come with him pretending to hurl himself out of the crib and onto the floor.  Plus now he's older and taller, so it is much scarier.  And so, with a sigh, I resigned myself to the fact that he is growing up and so should his sleeping arrangements.

The funny part is, I keep thinking of excuses not to do it today, while at the same time having a coronary that he'll fly again.  It's a weird tug-of-war taking place in my head and my heart.  Really?  THIS is complicated?  What the heck?  Nobody told me that something as simple as "change his bed" would be a life-altering issue full of guilt and worry and irritation.  What if he doesn't sleep?  What if the nanny can't get him to sleep?  What if he hurts himself roaming his room?  Where should I put the night light?  What if he gets out?  When should I do it so it's least disruptive?  Why didn't anyone tell me this about parenthood?  They did?  Oh.  Well WHY DIDN'T I GET IT?  Not that I would change a thing, obviously.  It's just so strange to me that a seemingly small, bizarre event can send shock waves through my life.  Parenthood is strange.

Now excuse me, I have to take a nap under my desk.  Better stock up while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment